Welcome

Please feel free to comment, correct me if I am wrong, or provide helpful tips of any kind


Nature in it's glory

Nature in it's glory

Feb 23, 2013

The first hint of spring

Robin amongst the House Finches
I was sitting talking to my daughter on Wednesday this week, when I saw some birds landing in the tree out back, in the neighbors yard.  I immediately grabbed my camera because there haven't been very many birds in that tree all winter.  There are no bird feeders out back you see, although just down the lane there are some wild apple trees.  The first thing I noticed was that the birds were mostly house finches.  But one or two was twice as big as they are, although all I caught by way of sight was a flash of black. 
Bright red breast

I nearly danced a jig when I finally got a good look through the tangle of branches and my camera's lens, and recognized the birds as Robins.  Here in the city when the Robins arrive it signals the beginning of spring.  Next to arrive should be the Crows, followed by Ducks, Geese, Black birds and Hawks.

A Robin in Profile

Robin at the top
Other signs of spring are rising temps and melting snow, and nesting Magpies.  Although, I haven't seen any Robins since, I can't wait to hear  them sing every morning as the sun rises in the sky.  Seeing them also has me dreaming of what possible new bird species I might see this spring and remembering the joys of discovery from migrations in the past.   Anticipation really is sweet.


Enjoy,
Susan
 

1 comment:

  1. I bet that the Robins did make you dance! I've seen some early spring migrants too, Double-crested Cormorants, ducks, and a Yellowlegs (sp) and I am starting to feel hopeful about more spring birds!

    ReplyDelete